Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Young Example

    “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” (1 Timothy 4:12)


    Go back and reread that verse. Now do it again...and again. Even though I was not a Christian for a large chunk of my life, growing up in the Church meant I heard that verse over...and over...and...you get my point. It was everywhere from Sunday school to youth group to retreats. People pounding what example the young generation is supposed to provide within the Church. The verse was read to me and used in lessons I heard so frequently that I became very desensitized to the true mean it holds.


    I just finished reading through 1 Timothy in my Bible study plan. When I hit that verse, I started to just skim through, and then I made myself stop and actually read it, and read it deeply. It hit me like a train. There is a vast amount of wisdom that verse, and I had totally been missing it. So now, allow me to share with you my notes that I scrawled out in my devotional notebook on how that verse applies to the young Christian (please note, when I say scrawled...I mean it.).


#1. Speech


    We are to set an example by watching our mouths. If we have slanderous, malicious, gossiping talk rolling off of our tongues, what kind of role model are we? God is calling us to be leaders in setting this example for those even younger than us (and some that are older!) in watching our mouths. The tongue is a world of evil, and we (VERY much including myself) need to learn to control it.


#2. Conduct


    Do you act like an immature idiot? Are you sexually suggestive? How you carry yourself and your conduct scream so many things about the type of person you are. If you truly want to be a good example to the rest of the body of believers, watch the way you walk. Actions speak louder than words.


#3. Love


    Are you catty and malicious, or do you love others with the selfless love God has shown you? Love isn’t becoming a total pushover with a lack of personality as many come to believe. Love is putting another person before yourself, protecting that person, caring for the person and keeping the same mentality that Jesus has about you toward them. Whether it is standing up for someone when they are being treated like they have absolutely no value, biting back that sarcastic comment because you know it will hurt the other person, or even simply sharing the Gospel with them, there are so many various ways we can show love to other people. Let us set an example of love for the rest of the body of believers.


#4. Faith


    If you haven’t figured out by now, this rambling of a post is directed toward young adults (High Schoolers, college students, people in their twenties, etc.). We are a generation that has a reputation for not being able to commit to something and put their faith in it. We hop from church to church, faith to faith as if there is absolutely no personal consequence that comes from it. Let us lead an example by placing our faith in Christ and letting Him be our Rock; having faith that doesn’t waver even through the darkness of life.


#5. Purity

    Another thing our generation is known for is being immoral when it comes to our sexuality. The best way you can set an example in this realm is to hold yourself to a higher standard-God’s standard. Set the boundaries needed in your life to pursue holiness in purity and be that Christ-like example on the issue.

1 comment:

  1. I relate to feeling desensitized to this verse! We forget how easy it is to slip into gossip and let "drama" go farther than it should... just because we're young doesn't mean we should be acting ridiculous ;)

    Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete