Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Disgusting Eye Opener

*IMPORTANT NOTE*'
If you don't feel like having a weird image of me stuck in your mind or you gross out easily, I would not read this post. :) If this hasn't scared you off yet, read on...


Today, God showed me some spiritual insights in one of the weirdest ways I've ever experienced. I woke up at 5 this morning with a stomach that felt like it was on a roller coaster (that is, I was pretty nauseous). Preparing for the inevitable, I pulled myself out of bed, wandered to the kitchen, and grabbed a bucket (I'm pretty sure you know why). Hold on to your seats ladies and gents, because this is where I manage to gross myself out with my own story. 

Well, as it turned out, my stomach was reallyyy messed up, and I threw up so hard that we think I wasn't getting oxygen, because the next thing I know, I wake up on the kitchen floor. There's really no way of putting this delicately to get my point across, so essentially, I found out that even when you pass out, you don't stop throwing up, so I woke up completely disgusting, because you obviously can't hold on to a bucket when you are passed out on the floor. 

By now you may be cringing and completely grossed out, or wondering why in the world I would tell you this. Well, here's the part where God used this total mess to get me to see some realities. I stood there, trying really hard not to cry (come on, you would be in the same boat if it was 5 am and you were covered in nastiness). That's when God laid something important on my heart...

I would be cleaned up. My mom would jump out of bed and start cleaning my mess up while I took a shower. Then, she would tuck me in and I'd go back to sleep. Yeah, I would still be sick, but I would have comfort, the presence of a loving caring family, meds to help me feel better...and Gatorade. Can't forget Gatorade. 

Millions of people around the world would never be comforted when they were sick. That might seem like a simple fact, but it struck me pretty hard this morning. They would not have Gatorade and a comfy bed. They would not have a shower to clean themselves up in, or maybe even family to love and care for them. Something as simple as the flu or food poisoning (or whatever I have) might not just be extremely uncomfortable and sad, but it could easily kill them since they are already malnourished and living in total poverty. 

This simple realization hit me hard. My heart broke a bit. I've always had a heart for people that live in poverty and hopelessness, and this reaffirmed my wish to just make people feel better, and point them to the love and hope that is found in Christ alone. 

That was the immediate thing I gained from that not so pleasant experience. As I thought about it, I realized something else later. That was me before I knew Christ. Covered in my own sin and ugliness, helpless, he took me in, cleaned me up and showed me love. 

Thanks God. Even though it took me being sick to really get these points across, I'm happy you did. Hopefully this post does something other than just completely gross you out, hopefully it makes you think about what Jesus has done or can do in your life, and how you can love the ones who need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment